Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sweet is the Melody



1. Sammy Walker - Misfit Scarecrow [Misfit Scarecrow]
2. Rodney Crowell - Earthbound [Fate’s Right Hand]
3. Jonathan Edwards - Magnolia Street [Tell Me Why]
4. Blaze Foley - Clay Pigeons [Live at the Austin Outhouse]
5. Jim White - Static On The Radio [Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Tell Me What You See]
6. Willie Nelson - My Own Peculiar Way [Songs]
7. Joni Mitchell - The Circle Game [Travelogue ]
8. T-Bone Burnett - Hollywood Mecca of the Movies [The True False Identity]
9. Dan Hicks And The Hot Licks (Featuring Tom Waits On Vocals) - I'll Tell You Why That Is [Beatin' The Heat]
10. Alejandro Excovedo - Slip [More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-96]
11. George Hanlon - Come Sit With Me [Obscurity's Hunger]
12. Bill Morrissey - Winter Song [Something I Saw or Thought I Saw]
13. Bill Garrett - Winters Night [Seems To Me]
14. Greg Brown - Skinny Days [The Evening Call]
15. Iris Dement - Sweet Is the Melody [My Life]
16. Dolly Parton - Early Morning Breeze [Coat of Many Colors]
17. Arlo Guthrie - Chilling of the Evening [Live in Sydney]
18. John Hartford - Crystallia Daydream [Natural to Be Gone 1967-1970]

In response to one of my (doowad’s) Prine picks for the Carter Family opus we did together, Brother Tex sent me the Sammy Walker tune.

I asked him if he wanted to use that as a start for a “songwriter” mix, emphasizing the usual suspects of Dylan, Prine, Townes, Earle, Waits, etc. Funny enough, we didn’t actually use any of those guys (with one great exception) and actually that Prine song I had submitted for the Carter mix was eventually dropped.

Hope this provides you with a winter warm-up, we have a deep freeze here in Missouri this week.

No comments: